The Pilchuck Foundation exists to strengthen and support public safety in our community. One way we do that is by offering an annual scholarship, the Merlin C. ‘Barney’ Barnhart Memorial Scholarship to a graduating Granite Falls senior planning to make a career in public safety. The scholarship was established to honor Barney’s combat bravery during World War II, Korea, and Viet Nam, later serving as a reserve police officer for Granite Falls, Washington.
The scholarship is open to all Granite Falls School District graduating students who plan to pursue post-secondary education in the field of public safety. Special consideration will be given to applicants pursuing a career in Fire Safety, Law Enforcement, Corrections, or Conservation Enforcement.
|2019||Not claimed – forfeit|
- Download instructions and cover sheet.
- Obtain application form from the School Counseling Office.
- Complete and return application form and all required documents to the Counseling Office by 3:30 p.m. on the first Friday in the month of May. All materials must be stapled behind the application cover page.
- Only completed applications received on or before the deadline will be accepted.
- Applicant must have a clean criminal record.
- Applicant must have a 2.6 cumulative grade point average and attach an official Washington High School transcript to the application.
- A maximum 300-word essay answering the questions of why you have selected your career path, and your expectations. Handwritten is preferred.
- Three letters of recommendation:
- All letters written to contain how they know you, and for how long,
- One letter from a school staff member or teacher,
- Two letters from persons in the community (no relatives please).